Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Thank you, she is 14 and has always been a small cat about 7…

Customer Question
Hello! thank you, *****...

Hello! thank you, ***** ***** 14 and has always been a small cat about 7 pounds when she was younger. about 3 years ago she was found to have thyroid issues so i give her a pill 1/2 in the morning and at night she went down to like 6.5 pounds and was test ok but since mid december she lost over .5 a pound everything else is normal shes has always thrown up alot so i was told pervicid i am very worried i made appt for the vet saturday but am i over reacting or should i worry

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No not that im aware its been since mid december imtil now she was 6.10 now 6.2 or 6.3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Not that i can think of we did just do pretty much all the blood test in the fall like october

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

So she is only getting her thyroid medication once a day?

Even a pound is a lot for a cat to lose so I don't think you are wrong to be concerned.

Thryoid disease can worsen over time and she may need to have medication twice a day or at a higher dose.

Pepcid can help with nausea if this her tummy is too acidic.

We can also see cats with chronic vomiting be diagnosed with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) which can be managed with diet, probiotics (a good one is feline fortiflora available on amazon.com) and when there are flare-ups, steroids.

one pill split into two pieces. 1 in the am and the second half in the pm

It may be her thyroid levels are increasing above the levels that the medication can handle.

It may be worth trying a diet change for her chronic vomiting. Diets for cats with IBD involve a novel protein diet ( meat source protein that she has never had before like venison, rabbit, duck etc). Cats with IBD have gastrointestinal tracts that are allergic or reaction to the main meat source in their food.

Can your veterinarian see her any sooner?

Even over a week, a cat with thyroid levels that are higher can lose even more weight and I would prefer that she not lose any more weight.

I could but she is eating my chicken and so forth so I know I can wait until Saturday

Is she eating her own food or just the chicken?

She’s been the same for a few weeks but not increasing that’s why I’m going
Her own which is gluten free

Gluten-free food is not bad at all, but if she does have chronic vomiting then it is more likely she is having issues with the meat source in her food. Studies have shown that the % of cats with a true grain allergy is less than 5%.

I am glad she is eating her food that is good news.

So at this point keeping a close eye on her and if her vomiting increases at all then I would recommend getting her seen sooner.

There is also a medication called cerenia that is anti-nausea for cats and lasts 24 hours which you can use as needed for her vomiting to help reduce it.

Cerenia is a medication your veterinarian would need to script out. It is not over the counter.

Good luck with your cat. I hope this is just her needing an adjustment of her thyroid medication.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Praying all is good

I hope so as well.

Pa should I go back to regular food

If she is eating her own food then I would stick with that for now until you see your veterinarian.

I would keep mixing in the chicken to make sure she is getting good protein there for now as well

Thanks

You are most welcome. If you have a moment please rate my assistance at the top with the stars so the site credits me with helping you. You can also post back on this thread for related questions or concerns. Rating me does not close down thequestionn.