Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

When I cam home from work I notice my cat ate almond and…

When I cam home...

When I cam home from work I notice my cat ate almond and throw up everywhere problem is I don’t know how many he ate I’m very worry what should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

His sleeping now and throw up before

1/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your cat ate some almonds and is now vomiting. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Do you happen to know if he has an appetite for his regular food?

He does if I make a motion to getting the food but I’m not going to feed him

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a moment.

Almonds are not toxic, so there is no issue with toxicity that we have to worry about. However, swallowing almonds can results in a foreign body obstruction, so that is what I would be most concerned about. One way to measure this is to observe his interest in food and water and his ability to not vomit after swallowing. Giving an over-the-counter remedy may also help and Pepcid or Zantac may be given. Pepcid is probably the easiest to dose accurately - a 10 lb cat would receive 1/4 tablet (i.e. 2.5 mg) every 12 hours as needed. If vomiting continues then he should be seen first thing in the morning for a set of x-rays to evaluate for a foreign body.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you i did give him a little treat and he ate it but he throw up and it was white foam
After he throw up again may be an hour later
and it was foam with brown color mix in it

Ok, thank you. No need to give him more food today. Withhold all food for the next 12 hours, but he can still have access to water. This will hopefully allow his stomach to rest. You may give the Pepcid if he will swallow it. No other treatments are very effective or safe for cats, so this would be the best recommendation for you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a 5 star review. You can do this at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you so much his sleeping now so if anything goes wrong I’ll take him to the vet