Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

8yr old calico. She has always loved food & agressively goes…

8yr old calico....

8yr old calico. She has always loved food & agressively goes after it. Now when I sit the bowl down for her, she doesn’t seem to see or smell it. I have to stick her face in the bowl several times in order for her to find the food. She looses half of it on the floor. She doesnt seemto be able to stick a landing and therefore falls a lot.she spins in a circle a lot. falls off my lap or chair etc. when I sit the bowl 9n floor, she follows or swats my hand. What would cause this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Bella. 8yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bella?

8yr

1/24/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

have you taken your cat to the vet to have her vision checked?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No

Cats that are over about 8 years of age can develop hypertension which is a silent disease and in cats causes retinal detachment and can lead to blindness...

That would be my primary concern for your kitty but she will need to be examined by your vet and have a blood pressure done...

she will also need some bloodwork done to rule out other metabolic diseases...

Can I Nasser any other questions for you or address any concerns?

sorry....answer

are you there??

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
you think eye sight is the issue. What about not being able to find he food? Seems she does not smell it.

Obviously I cannot say for sure without exam...but if her sight was good she would see the food.....even if she could not smell it.... it is possible that a cranial nerve is affected that causes a loss of smell but vision loss way more common...

we can only tell you the most likely cause of what you are reporting since we cannot do an examination....

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you!

Can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is there anything I can do to help her.

I wish I could advise you but without a diagnosis I cannot even begin to tell you how to help....the very best thing you can do is take her to your vet for exam asap....

I hope that makes sense...can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
If she has a detachment in one eye, will her other eye/brain compensate and adjust?

If she has a detachment it is likely going to be bilateral...but if that is what it is this is a medical emergency because if caught soon enough vision can be restored....

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Thank you

can I answer any other questions for you?

ok, take care...

Please rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. Thank you very much! DRB

And let me know if you need any additional help!

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

let me know if you need additional help..DRB

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The option to restore sight if it is a retinal detachment, is surgical right?

no, blood pressure medicine.....easy and not expensive

but if detachment must be seen asap.....or retinas will not reattach.....your kitty needs exam asap..

If no other questions tonight I would appreciate a rating......

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

thank you and let me know if you need additional help..DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian