Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a new rescue who I was told was spayed. as of late…

I have a new...

I have a new rescue who I was told was spayed. as of late (last few days) she is crying like she is in heat and has been excessively grooming. just last night, she started to stiffen up when I pick her up, which is not like her. she normally goes limp like a rag doll and loves to be held.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is***** / Scottish fold mix. not sure of age, about a year? she is a rescue from Kuiwait.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Blizmo?

Maybe a year?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blizmo?

Nothing I can think of

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/23/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
there are a couple things that could be going on here. She could be intact and not have been spayed and you were told that she was or she could have an ovarian Remnant remaining from the surgery. One small piece of ovarian tissue will cause a pet to have a heat cycle. This will occur even if the rest of the uterus is removed. There is a test called a luteinizing hormone test that can determine if there is an ovarian Remnant or she is intact. Or an exploratory could be done to see if there is any remaining ovarian tissue. It is recommended to have this done while she's showing these specific symptoms.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If the behavior continues, then I would recommend you take her for an exam and possible blood work. It is so hard to tell what exactly happened with the rescue Etc. I am not saying she wasn't spayed but we have to figure out why she's acting the way that she is. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you! That is what I was thinking. Good to know I can have best tested.