Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Omg my cats face on left side is swollen he has scratched…

Omg my cats face...

Omg my cats face on left side is swollen he has scratched fur away from middle of the area it’s so bad it’s under his eye and he is drooling bad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?

Spencer and he is 14

1/21/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Okay thank you
No, this is fine
Ummm are you still here? I really need to know what to do, I’m afraid it’s going to burst then get in his system and poison him.

Is the swollen area on his cheek on the area just below his eye? (see the pictures of the cats below:

1) http://www.kingstownecatclinic.com/kingstownecatclinic/Calvin2.jpg

2) http://www.kingstownecatclinic.com/kingstownecatclinic/Calvin1.jpg

If so the most likely cause of it is actually a premolar tooth root abscess that has fistulated through the bone and into the tissue under his skin. The roots of the upper premolar teeth end up just below the eye and if the tooth becomes infected the infection often travels through the soft tissue around the root and drains out through the face. As the infection worsens we can see quite a bit of swelling on the face. The tooth crown may look normal in the mouth, as it is the root that is infected, but sometimes we can see how the infection entered via a crack or chip fracture by looking at his teeth.

The other common cause of sudden swelling and redness is an allergic reaction. This can be from an insect bite or sting, pollen, or plants (much less common in cats). Sometimes we never figure out the cause of the allergic reaction.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one half of a 25mg capsule per 8 to 15 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.

Benadryl is very bitter and some cats will drool excessively or may even vomit because of that. That doesn't mean it is making him ill, he just hates the taste. If that's the case with him try a different antihistamine.

OR

Chlorpheniramine 4mg per cat once or twice daily.

OR

Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at a dose of 5 mg per cat given orally every 24 hours. (Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because cats cannot tolerate decongestants.)

You'll need to give an antihistamine for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.

This may make him a little sleepy. And then you'll need to watch him closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours if this is related to an allergic reaction.

If he seems to be doing well after taking an antihistamine I would call his usual veterinarian and let them know so it is on his record for future reference.

Other possible reasons for what you are seeing other than an abscessed premolar tooth root, include an infected or blocked salivary gland, a type of cancer in his lymph node (lymphoma) or a bite or scratch wound that has become abscessed/infected, or a tumor in his upper jaw/sinuses. If your fellow isn't improving with antihistamines then he needs to see his veterinarian for some testing to determine why he has this swelling, and appropriate treatment.

If he isn't improving he needs to see his veterinarian for an examination and antibiotics and he will likely need a tooth extracted. This isn't an emergency as long as he is still eating and drinking well. They can put him on pain medication and anti-inflammatories as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

It looks like both pictures but way more swollen

Yes, as time goes on the swelling can get pretty extreme. Poor guy, it's probably pretty uncomfortable.

Ideally he needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible.

If he is eating and drinking ok Monday morning is fine. Don't feed him after 6 Sunday night so they can safely anesthetize him for diagnostics and testing.

Okay thank you! I’m giving him Benadryl right now if he’ll take it

That sounds good. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara