Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a weird black spot on the very lower part of his…

Hi, my cat has...

Hi, my cat has a weird black spot on the very lower part of his abdomen and an area on one if his rear paws that has some irritation that he's been picking at bc the fur is gone over the area. HELP!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Boomer and he is 14.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boomer?

Lately he's been peeing partially in/partially out of his litterbox. I thought it was b/c he didn't like the litter I switched to (feline pine) from standard litter which is too dusty for my allergies

1/20/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Boomer. I'm sorry he's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Are you able to upload a photo of this spot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
See attached pics

Looking at your images now...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These are pics of the black spot & the irritation he;s been picking at on his rear paw

Thank you for uploading the images. They're very helpful.

Can you please tell me how long the black spot and the bald spot have been there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just noticed them. I haven't noticed him picking at all at the spot on his rear paw, otherwise I would've looked sooner. He happened to be laying on his back when I walked into my bedroom tonight & saw the irritation, then, started to explore his belly and saw that weird black mark.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's an indoor cat, does not ever go outside (if that helps).

That's good news, actually, that the spots are new.

The bare spot on his leg could be nothing more than an injury that needs to heal. Other possibilities are an allergy, ringworm (a fungal skin infection), or even mites.

The black mark might be totally normal... they can develop spots of pigment. Or, it may also be associated with allergy or a fungal skin infection.

There are lots of possibilities that would all look like this...

Is he acting sick in any other way? Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yikes. How would I treat a fungal infection or mites (eesh!)! I live in a newly constructed apartment building and my apartment is spotless, so how do I know if I have mites?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, not acting sick, seems to be his usual self, eating, is affectionate. The only thing I mentioned was the peeing half in/half out of the litter box, but that could be b/c of the litter I am using

The only way he could get mites would be from another cat who had them.

The only way he could get ringworm (not a worm at all, but a fungal skin infection) is from another cat with the same problem or from the soil.

Perhaps these facts make it less likely to be either of those and more likely to be an injury?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He definitely does not come into contact with any other cats or soil, as he is indoors.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure what he could injure himself on here, there's nothing he really gets into, he mainly stays on my bed or under the covers on my bed.

You can rest assured than injuries are still possible, and actually quite likely, even under the cushiest of circumstances.

Allergy is still on the list, too...although most cats with allergies start to show symptoms around 3 years of age, not as old as Boomer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think he can be allergic to the litter (feline pine)? If anything, feline pine is better for cats than regular litter with all the dust.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you suggest I do? Let it sit awhile & just monitor everything?

While possible, that would be really unusual.

Of course, if this is an injury, you can count on it healing over the next week or two. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, I'm afraid a trip to the vet is necessary. There are no short cuts.

Is Boomer acting okay otherwise?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's acting totally normal, hence why when I saw the irritation on his leg I was surprised, then saw the dark mark on his lower abdomen & got nervous b/c again he's showed no signs of pain or has acted outside of his normal self. I am surprised he ven let me touch the irritation and his lower stomach.

I'm happy to reassure you, at least, that this doesn't look like anything serious. I'm relieved to hear he's acting otherwise normally.

Keep a close eye on eating, drinking, and litterbox habits so you'll know if anything else is off. If this doesn't go away over the next week or two, definitely have it checked out, but rest assured in the meantime this doesn't look serious.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? I am super sorry he's got you worried.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you, ***** ***** advice!

You bet. I'm glad I could help.

Please remember to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you tonight.

Thank you for using our website.

I hope Boomer's skin heals up quickly.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian