Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My over 12 year old male cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis…

Hi my over...

Hi my over 12 year old male cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis last year and since then we have had our vet give him B12 shots and fluids and tried to feed him the hydrolyzed purina diet but he wouldn't eat the food. I have tried different brands of food and he will eat it a few times then refuses it. He has lost so much weight that he is now skin and bones. Is there any kind of diet we can give him or any other treatments? I am at my wits end as to what to do. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Emilio

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emilio?

He vomits regularly and has a few bouts with diarrhea.

1/19/2018
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. This can be very frustrating.... I am sure you have done some reading about cats and pancreatitis. What you may have found is that many cats have multiple diseases going on at the same time; it's called Triaditis. This is pancreas, intestine and liver. They don't have to have all 3 and many times have 1 or 2. It sounds like if he is receiving B12 shots, he has some intestinal issues as well....IBD. There are many treatments/management medications for IBD. What has your vet tried and has he offered ultrasound to try to diagnose the IBD?

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
my vet recommended ultrasound and we would have to take him up to the University Veterinary Hospital.
Phone call session started

It went straight to voicemail. Want to try again?

We can continue to talk here if we can't get a good connection. Let me know.

Dr. Sara, I'm sorry but my phone had no charge.
Hello, is anyone there now?

Hi, I just tried again, can we talk here?

Hi, I tried to call 3 times and am ready to sign off for the night. I will check back in the am to see if you have written back, I'm happy to help.

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian