Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat having diarrhea after round up was used on weeds, she…

My cat having diarrhea after...
My cat having diarrhea after round up was used on weeds, she is eating, but not drinking very much,
1/19/2018
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to talk about your kitty?

Hi, I am glad you are here. You can ignore the automatic phone call offer and we can just chat online.

Can I ask you how long her diarrhea has been going on for?

online
The diarrhea I'm worried about started Monday after round up was used in weeds out in front

Is it large volumes? Is there any blood in it you can see? Is it liquid? Or just soft?

She is eating, drinks, but not like she normal does. She has arthritis in spine and hips, medicated for pain nneurotin, and ciscpride, lactolose when she is constipayed, was last given Monday

The cisapride is a promotility agent. Can I ask how much of that she is on? You may need to decrease that for a bit to get the diarrhea to calm down.

No blood, small amount, more soft with liquid.
I have stopped all,that. Her neurotin, for pain only,
She only takes .020 ml as needed,
That was cicsipride

Ok good. We need to make sure it doesn't go full swing the other way where she gets constipated.

I would try adding in some fiber to diet. You can get psyllium powder over the counter. Ensure it has no additives or artifical sweeteners (like stevia or splenda). This can help to bulk up the stools a little and make them less liquid.

I would also add in a probiotic. You can get this at the pet store. It will help to replenish the bacteria in her colon to help with the diarrhea.

If her appetite is down a bit, she may have an upset stomach. You can give her 5 mg Pepcid AC or generic famotidine twice a day to see if that helps to settle her stomach.

If these do not help, then I would recommend to take her to your vet.

Often the chemicals just cause GI upset, but nothing worse. Since she's a little on the older side, I would just want to make sure liver and kidneys are ok if she's not improving.

She has nausea medication, but should I be worried about round up if she licked it.
She also has merilax also, but hasn't been taken.

It's probably what upset her system. Typically it causes just GI upset like you are describing. Rarely it can cause other problems. So if she's not improving with the above suggestions in a day or two, I would take her in to have an exam and possible blood work to be sure.

I would give her the nausea medication to make sure she keeps eating. This will help with the diarrhea as well.

Good. I would avoid anything to make her stools softer.

Thank you, ***** ***** have to keep her in for right now, she has been going out front daily since Monday and I feel she is licking the weeds still.

Can you keep her inside so she doesn't keep exposing herself to it?

Perfect. That sounds like a good plan.

Can I answer anything else for you?

Thank you, ***** ***** not be happy but I can keep her in, I can put her in back no round up, she is leashed trained only

You're very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian