Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has food allergies and I took Miss Grey to the vet…

My cat has food...

My cat has food allergies and I took Miss Grey to the vet yesterday. I have chlorpheniramine maleate (4mg) that I give 2 mg twice a day. I was wondering about the doseage of benaydryl as a back-up plan

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is***** is 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Miss?

She probably has arthritis in her back legs as it is difficult for her to jump up on a chair. She is also overweight so I am reducing her food intake and increasing her exercise. I have ordered dasaquin from the pharmacy for the joint pain. I also have buprenorphine (0.3mg/ml) doseage 0.55 ml twice a day for pain as needed. I am looking for non-steroid anti-inflammatory herbs to give if possible. We could not do x-rays and did not perform blood tests for liver or kidney function tests. She was not a happy camper yesterday.

1/19/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I'm sorry to hear Miss Grey has allergies.

Unfortunately, if chlorpheniramine isn't working, then benadryl probably won't be any better. :( However, should you feel you want to do the benadryl instead you can use 1mg per pound every 12 hours.

IF she really has severe allergies, please ask your vet about trying Apoquel or Atopica with her. Both can be effective, much more so than an antihistamine. I assume you have explored foods to figure out which is appropriate for her.

For her joints, the dasuquin is an excellent choice. However, it will not provide immediate relief. Takes a few weeks to kick in. For pain, if the buprenorphine isn't working or makes her too sedate, ask your vet about trying gabapentin on an as needed basis, as an alternative for her.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified