Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has an infection in his mouth. his gums are bleeding once…

He has an infection...

He has an infection in his mouth. his gums are bleeding once in awhile

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Age 2 male fixed . tabby . usually super healthy shit up to date. got outside when we move to new mexico for two weeks we thought he had gotten coaught be a coyote but then he came back thats when we notices the infection. he still eats and drinks but has lost weight in last two months.

He will stil eat hard food but I noticed that he was losing wieght so I changed him to a canned food that is soft until I could get him to a vet . but my schedule just doesnt permit it. I was hoping I could give him some doxycycline 50 mg. po that I had left over from a previous pets infection that he never took last summer as it is a broad spectrum ABX but I would rather give the correct medication. my son is going to tecxt me pictures of his mouth as I am at work this evening and if I can I will get good pictures with my phone in the am when I get home. I have tried to contact a few Mobil vets to heave one come by the house but none have returned my calls . I am getting a little frustrated. I am a RN so can handle the treatments or the care if I need to. Please help .
1/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would very much like to see pics which you can upload by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Unless caused by a bite wound, primary infection in the oral cavity isn't common in cats unless they're immunocompromised by either the feline leukemia (FeLV) or feline immunodeficiency (FIV) virus. Tooth root abscess would be unlikely in such a young cat and so my primary concern would be resorptive lesions in the teeth and stomatitis (plasmacytic/lymphocytic). To answer you directly, doxycycline is reasonable (and can be effective for stomatitis) when dosed at 2.5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily but cats shouldn't be dry pilled lest esophageal ulceration/stricture arise. If pilled follow up with at least 6 mL of water.

When I get home this am I’ll send pics thanks

I'll watch for your next post. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new one.

I don't see any evidence of bleeding but I can't visualize his oral cavity in those photos. At best I can see two teeth! Another consideration when gingival bleeding is seen is an anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity usually from ingesting a poisoned rodent. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Possibly not from my house but maybe when he was outside how long would that last this is progressively worse since summer. Now starting to resolve a tiny bit since antibiotic therapy before there was a strong Gi bleed smell but never saw any in the litter but you just know that smell in health care. But now him mouth just oozes. Let me see if I can get my son to take open mouth pics

I don't see any evidence of bleeding...only an old cat mouth which appears to be missing teeth.

The anticoagulant rodenticides don't cause that long of a chronic bleed. Bleeding arises 1-4 days after ingestion and if treated with vitamin K stops quickly. Untreated, bleeding can persist up to 6 weeks and can be life-threatening. I suspect that he'll need to have a hands-on exam to best understand what's going on in his mouth or if there's a systemic coagulopathy going on.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
After a really good look it almost looks like the soft sides of his mouth are damaged And noticed his canines are really almost hanging from the roof like saber tooth tiger. Not hanging they are secure but it’s like they belong to a bigger cat and don’t fit his mouth any more
Can you or do you know a good vet in Albuquerque NM that is where we live
Well thank you anyways. Not any definitive answers but helpful non the less

Yes, you're seeing gingival recession giving the impression of longer than normal canine teeth. Regretfully, no, I don't know anybody in Albuquerque. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

He’s not an old cat though he’s only 2

Ah! That's a good reason to have his teeth and oral cavity checked. Stomatitis (as I mentioned earlier) becomes a more important consideration.

Again thank you

It's my pleasure.