Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We got our new kitten on Monday and shes started sneezing…

We got our new...

We got our new kitten on Monday and shes started sneezing here and there, but since yesterday it's more like a cold. Today she sounds stuffy and sneezing alot louder

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Venus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Venus?

We got her from adoption shop, vaccine record show she got one on 1/418

1/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear to hear of this with Venus. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing (and conjunctivitis?) you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Venus continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of her sneezing, she doesn't need to be attended to by her vet. How old is she, please? If very young I'm more inclined to prescribe the doxycycline now. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
She will be 3 months next week

Ah! She's a big girl already. I would be patient with her. Look for her normalizing within the next 10 days. If not, or indeed she worsens in that time frame, please have her attended to by her vet who is likely to prescribe doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian