Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a three month old kitten named Midnight. She is a…

Hi, I have a three...
Hi, I have a three month old kitten named Midnight. She is a stray that I rescued and brought to a vet clinic last Sunday, which is where she got her first shots and I was told she was three months. She has started to act odd: incessant cooing (coos are normal for her, but it has been constant for the last couple hours), trying to get under our male fixed cat, licking her private areas several times a day, and not finishing food. Is she going into heat? I know she is too young and it is the wrong time of year so I'm confused. Either way, any suggestions on what to do? If she is in heat, how long does it last and how long should I wait to get her fixed?
1/19/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you with Midnight. 3 months is a little bit early to go into eat, especially this time of year. Since she is a stray though, it is possible that she could be a bit older. Its not unusual to see a first heat at 4-6 months, depending on breed and time of year.

The average length of a heat cycle is around 6 days, but can go even longer, and often they will cycle multiple times in a single breeding season.

You can have her spayed now, and usually the signs of heat will stop after 24-48 hours.

Let me know if I can help further!

Is there anything I need to do? Should I assume she is in heat? Or could it be something else?

Oh she is cute! I love black cats!

It definitely sounds like a heat cycle to me. I'm not sure what else would cause symptoms like that. It doesn't sound worrisome at this point, unless she develops discharge from her vulva, stops eating, develops vomiting or diarrhea, etc.

I would just have her in to the vet again for another checkup and spay!

Sarah Snow
Okay! Thank you

You're welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Midnight. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow