Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cats ear seems to be holding over on the left side and…

My cats ear seems to...
My cats ear seems to be holding over on the left side and turning white compared to his left grey ear (the skin not fur). I took him to the vet, got him checked and bloodwork done and it came back normal and the vet had no idea what it was. I’m now worried this is going to get worse and he’ll eventually be in pain.
1/18/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. Thank you for the pictures. Helpful.

The first thing I have to ask is if he has any exposure to chronic corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone/prednisolone, cortisone cream, etc)? This is a common side effect to have a droopy ear pinna.

This is called floppy ear syndrome or 'flop-eared cat,' and has been most often associated with either Cushing's disease or systemic or topical steroids administration. If it's not exposure then I would recommend have your vet screen for Cushing's which involves screening lab work (cBC, chemistry panel and an ACTH stimulation test). At any rate, it means the cartilage is being resorbed. If the ear flap is thickened then a condition called polychondritis is a consideration.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** a blood test and that was it how do you screen for Cushings? I told my vet to do so and she said it wasn’t necessary, I wish I would have had her do it anyway now. He is not getting any medicines just l lysine for chronic feline herpes. Is this something that can reverse /get better? What does it mean when the cartilage is being reabsorbed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can cause cushings or polychondritis ?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

I see you requested a phone call but I am unable to do this due to the laws in my state require I perform a physical examination prior to a phone call.

Cushing's syndrome we sometimes see clues on screening lab work but usually we have to do a more advanced screening called a an ACTH stimulation test (your vet can easily do this within 2 hours).

Polychoncritis (officially called FELINE ATROPHIC AURICULAR POLYCHONDRITIS) is a rare problem. It is an autoimmune (or immune mediated) problem where the body is attacking the cartilage of the ear flap. Diagnosis requires a biopsy. We are not entirely sure of the reason this occurs and there is no effective cure but there are things to try. Based on the picture it does not look like this is going on but this could be the early phase.

Reabsorbed means the body is absorbing/dissolving the cartilage which makes the pinna weak and droopy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Felix. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified