Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitten has thrown up a few times, just liquid and foam…

My kitten has thrown...

My kitten has thrown up a few times, just liquid and foam and she recently ate dinner, but no other food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?

Venus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Venus?

She came sick with a cold and has been on ring worm medicine. it's a 5 week medicine - 1 week on, one off, one on, one off, one off. we're in an off week before the final round

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She was also on antibiotics, but that was about 3 weeks ago. She's been done 2-3 weeks and is on probiotics. She's sneezed a few times. Her sister sneezes a few times a day too.
1/18/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am sorry to hear Venus is going through this.

I have a few questions to help me understand what is going on. Thanks for answering.

1)How old is she?

2) Is she still on the medication for ringworm or did you stop this? Did the vomit start AFTER you started the medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is 6 months. She is in an off week of the antifungal meds. She starts her last week tomorrow. So she's has one week on, one week off, one week one, finishing another week off.

Then, this is probably unlikely to be due to the medication, although all the anti fungal medications are notorious for causing vomtiing; they can also cause liver problems which I cannot entirely rule out without lab work.

Does she seem to be eating still despite the few vomits? Any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She ate dinner - about 1/3 can of wet food. She had a little diarrhea this morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems less playful, but looks clear-eyed.

Great that she is eating. It sounds like she is stable and this is not a medical emergency such that you need to run her in this evening. However, with these vague signs it could indicate one of many possible problems that can range from intestinal parasites (less likely if you have her on monthly heartworm preventive) to pancreatitis to an organ problem (liver in particular related to the medication) to ingestion of an unusual item that is in her system (this is an age that they like to eat all kinds of things like hair bands and floss).

So, I would recommend you have your veterinarian do an exam and some lab testing to help rule out some of these problems. The testing would include a CBC, chemistry panel and stool check as a basic starting point. If you feel there is a possibility for eating something unusual then xrays will be needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do I look for as a signs to bring her in? How would I know if she ate something bad?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I offer her a little more food to see if she eats? (She's usually hungry.)

For eating something she should not have the signs we see are vomiting and loose stool. Sometimes when it get serious a cat will also stop eating. So, if she stops eating this is a sign to have her seen right away.

I would recommend hold on more food this evening but keep the water available. Tomorrow try offering her food in the morning. If she again vomits or refuses to eat, then you need to take her in to be seen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could the foreign object pass?

The answer is sometimes the object passes or a cat vomits it back up. The bad news is cats like to swallow things like string that tend not to pass through very well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. She wants to play now. I'll make sure she eats her food in the morning. I'm then off to work for the day. My husband will be home. What should I tell him?

I would advise him to watch her after you feed her for vomiting. She is allowed one vomit. If she has more than one vomit tomorrow, then you really must schedule her an appointment to be seen. If she does great, then perhaps she ate something odd today and it has passed. Then, no worries.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you so much.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if she throws up again tonight? It will be the fourth time.

Again, as long as she seems playful and eating I think I would allow her one more vomit tonight. What would prompt me to recommend rush her in to be seen on emergency is if she has profuse vomiting overnight or becomes lethargic or painful.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I really appreciate it.

You are very welcome. I am hoping for the best for her.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified