Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My newly adopted cats both had an upper respiratory

My newly adopted cats...

My newly adopted cats both had an upper respiratory infection. They were sneezy and after a few days one developed what looked like an eye infection. The vet said it was upper respiratory infection and that the other cat likely had it too. He started limping and not putting any weight on his back leg. Over the phone the vet said it was the same virus, affecting his joint. It's now been multiple weeks and his personality is back, and he's no longer hiding, but he's still not putting any weight on the leg. Is it normal for it to last this long?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

He's 8 Clyde

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Clyde

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Sorry, I was unclear. One cat had an eye issue and the OTHER cat started limping. The vet from the shelter said it was the same virus.

No this is not normal with respiratory infection and should not last this long at all....something else is going on....

I would recommend that your cat with the limp see your vet and have an exam and xrays if needed.....

Thank you.

Do you have any other questions at this time?

Nope, just starting to worry that 3+ weeks of recovery isn't normal and it seems that it's not.

No this is not normal....

In 28 years of practice I have not seen lameness associated with resp dz...

Can I help you further?

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you and let me know if you need additional help...DRB