Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A bite on my cats neck has become infected and

A bite on my...

A bite on my cats neck has become infected and swollen..tonight it burst and blood with stuff came out...it is infected and hurts..I'll get him to the vet tomorrow..what can I do tonight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Fib 11yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He is fixed and otherwise healthy

1/17/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear that Fib has this problem, hopefully, though this will be a minor situation which your vet will easily be able to resolve tomorrow with prescription drugs such as antibiotics. However, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Sadly as far as pain relief goes there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis as the common human over the counter painkillers such as Advil etc can be very toxic to cats.

2. As far as the wound goes until you can get to the vet just wash the affected area with warm salt water, then gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then apply Neosporin, do this four or five times a day. Neosporin is very safe for cats and indeed does not harm them even if they swallow a little as they can sometimes do during grooming.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Fib's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou..I did not know to use salt water..and did not know it was ok to use Neosporin. I will do this.

No problem, very glad to be advising you. While uncomfortable for your cat this sort of problem is rarely serious long-term ...

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?