Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Seems to be constipated. Has passed a stool in days.

Seems to be constipated...

Seems to be constipated. Has passed a stool in days. Appetite is good dried food in morning for oral care. Wet grain free food at night. What can I do please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Chester a lilac Burmese . Chester is more than 7 years old. We have recently moved from a large house to a smaller apartment. Seems to have settled in well. Not allowed out at night. Was passing stools in kitty litter box until recently.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?

No not really. Always seems to get a clean bill of health when he goes for his vacinations.

1/17/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Is Chester straining in the litter box at all trying to pass stools?
  2. Were his stools of normal size and consistency before this?
  3. Did he used to pass stools outside in your larger home when he was allowed outside?
  4. How long ago was the move?
  5. Has he gained any weight since the move?
  6. Have you checked the apartment thoroughly for "stool accidents"?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he does seem to be straining in the litter box and is only passing urine. Yes his stools were very normal before. Yes he used to pass stools outside in the larger home and there was no litter box needed at that address. We have been at our new address for a month. Yes he has put on some weight. There is no evidence of stool accidents throughout the apartment.

You might try giving him a second litter box to pass stools. Some cat prefer urinating in one place and defecating in another. He may have different surface preferences for each one.

It is also possible that he isn't getting enough exercise to keep his gastrointestinal tract moving normally. Encouraging play behavior and exercise is a natural way to relieve stress and get his gastrointestinal tract moving. Fishing line toys for him to chase, hiding treats for him to "hunt down" in cat trees or kitty condos can be fun for him too. Perhaps building an outdoor enclosure on a patio or porch so he can go out safely and get some exercise and be stimulated by outdoor smells and sights.

If he is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting there are a few things we can do to help him.
One is to increase fiber by adding canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal for a small kitty up to 2 tablespoons to start.
These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on his ease passing stool as well as whether his stool is too soft.

Increasing the amount of fluids in his diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to his food. The more fluids he takes in the better.

If he starts vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. Then he needs to see his veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if he seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin can be used chronically if needed.
You might also wish to add a probiotic to get his gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac are very good products.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I'll give the pumpkin a go. When I switched his wet food to a cheaper 'fish' product with 'gravy' he vomited both brands. The more expensive 'fish' brand he likes and takes time to devour. I'll try mixing the pumpkin with this product.

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian