Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat came in and his ear appeared to be cut but after

Customer Question
My cat came in...

My cat came in and his ear appeared to be cut but after inspecting it it looks like it may have been an aches can I put plain Neosporin on it until I can get him to a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

No not at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Winston and he's about 7

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/17/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Winston has this problem, hopefully, this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. That should be just fine, until you can get to the vet just wash the affected area with warm salt water, then gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then apply Neosporin, do this twice a day. Neosporin is very safe for cats and indeed does not harm them even if they swallow a little as they can sometimes do during grooming.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Winston's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...