Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have two week old kittens with a respiratory breathing…

Customer Question
I have two week...

I have two week old kittens with a respiratory breathing probem can I give them amoxidrop and how much ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Chester

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 7 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

I'm so sorry to hear these kittens have significant respiratory issues. I highly recommend working with a veterinarian on this. The short answer to your question is, yes, you may give amoxicillin if there is a secondary bacterial infection to be treated. Remember that most upper respiratory infections in kittens are due to a viral infection (usually feline herpes virus). IT can rapidly become life-threatening at this age. An antibiotic will not treat the virus. This is why working with a veterinarian can become critical. Sometimes if we feel it is worsening the use of an antiviral medication may be warranted.

So if there is green/yellow/white nasal discharge then you can give amoxicillin suspension. However the dose is different tin very young kitten than it is in older kittens because they have a slower metabolism and underdeveloped kidneys. If they were my patients and I thought an antibiotic may be helpful I might dose them at 10mg/kg every 24 hours. You will need to weigh each daily and then calculate based on the suspension you have. I also want to warn you if you have an old suspension that once mixed the suspension is only good for 2 weeks after mixing. So, if it has been mixed longer ago than this, it is no longer effective. You will need to phone your veterinarian to obtain more or have the kittens examined, which would be my top recommendation.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.