Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 15 yr old male siamese cat, he is treated for

I have a 15...

I have a 15 yr old male siamese cat, he is treated for thyroid and has blood work done every three months to keep track of the thyroid. In addition he has thickening of the aorta wall (early stage). In the past 6 months he has dropped 2 pounds (13.6-11.4, a pound of that weight loss has transpired over the past month). He had a senior workup done including ultra sound of his organs and bloodwork which all came back normal for the most part. I have recently switched his wet food from Friskies to Weruva (low phospherous). Im not sure why he keeps losing weight after everything is coming up normal for the most part. Is there an acceptable amount of weight loss in senior cats or is there something my vet is missing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

1/15/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

When was the last time he had a senior workup with an ultrasound?

Is he on any other medications besides for hyperthyroidism?

Three weeks ago and no other meds
Additionally he is eating normally, still playful, and jumps on and off the bed with no signs of pain

Thanks for the information. That is a significant amount of weight loss for a cat in that short amount of time. I would be concerned that something else is going on. My primary concern would be cancer. In many cases, you can pick that up on an ultrasound, but it may be difficult early in the disease process. If there is any vomiting or diarrhea, then there may be a problem with digestion and absorption. Inflammatory bowel disease and intestinal lymphoma would be concerns as would pancreatic insufficiency. If there are any gastrointestinal problems, it may be a good idea to run a GI blood panel to evaluate the pancreas better and determine if there may be an absorption or digestion issue. If they haven't done any x-rays of the chest, then cancer may be picked up better there. If he has lost muscle mass just due any type of arthritis, which >90% of cats his age have and may only show very mild signs, that can cause weight loss as well. Metabolic issues like diabetes, unregulated hyperthyroidism and chronic kidney disease should have been ruled out with blood work. They may want to evaluate the heart a little more with an ultrasound if not already done to make sure that is not an underlying cause. Lastly, make sure he is drinking enough and not dehydrated. Water loss can cause weight loss, since water is >60% of boy weight. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

You actually just jogged my memory last year he had a flare up of triaditis which was determined because of vomiting which he still gets from time to time at which time I treat it with Pepcid as instructed. They didnt an ultra sound of the chest during his senior workup and thats how we found the thickening of the aorta. Water consumption is normal and im not sure if he has arthritis
They Did not didnt

It could be an absorption issue. Arthritis in cats can be very difficult to recognize at time, especially if early. I am assuming that you meant to say that they DID do an ultrasound of the chest? I would consider re-evaluating the pancreas and possible absorption and digestion issues again. It may help to check his cobalamin levels (on GI panel) because some cats can be deficient in this, and it is required for proper digestion. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Ty Dr. John Ill take this up with my Vet and set an appointment. Once I have the results I will update you

Thank you very much. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Hi Dr. John again everything came up normal I actively monitor the weight daily and he seems to be fluctuating .6 (up and then back down) pounds which may even be a scale issue. He is active, playful, appetite has been good (although I noticed he wont eat the Royal Canin dry food any longer and will only eat wet) , his stools look normal other than an occasional light color, and demeanor has been good. The one thing I have noticed is his breath smelled like fesces at least twice over the past month. I have another appointment scheduled tomorrow as they wanted to followup in a month

If fluctuating like that, it may not be a big issue, as long as he is maintaining weight overall. The feces smelling breath may mean that he is constipated. I would have them check his colon to make sure he isn't getting backed up. Thanks for the update. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Hello Dr. JohnI hope all is well! I am writing again because Neo went from 12 pounds to 11.6. I am perplexed as is my vet due to the fact his blood panels came back good, he thinks it is the Thyroid disease thats causing the weight loss even though he was in normal range with the meds hes on. Neo is still playful, eating normal, drinking water (not excessive) and his bowel movements are fine (feces, and Urine) and as a reminder his january ultrasound didnt reveal any issues. The only thing i have noticed is he doesnt really like being touched on his lower back near the tail or his back legs (he is still jumping on and off surfaces and i havent noticed any limping or balance issues). I am concerned with the weight loss but not sure where else to go from here as all the evaluations arent showing up anything that could be causing it. My question is this; in an earlier post you suggested arthritis, is there anything I can give him over the counter to treat the Arthritis? Or do you think its something else? I asked about Cancer the last time but the Vet says there is nothing that he could see from the blood work, ultrasound, and urinalysis that show Cancer.

Yes, thank you. With arthritis, you may get some mild weight loss due to loss of muscle mass. With a cat, smaller amounts of weight loss can be more significant due to their size. Weight loss of 1/2 lb on a cat above 10 lbs doesn't usually concern me much, unless it is continuing. Sometimes it can just be normal variation. I think initially his weight loss was to 11.4 lbs, and he went back to 12 lbs. I is possible he may continue that fluctuation, which is fine as long ast there isn't a downward trend. Glucosamine supplementation is the safest thing you can give a cat over the counter for arthritis. Any other human OTC anti-inflammatory can cause major problems. In most cases, I will prescribe them tramadol for long term use, which seems to work well and is usually safe. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian