Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 14 year old cat began with sneezing and reverse

Customer Question
Our 14 year old...

Our 14 year old cat began with sneezing and reverse sneezing. Around Nov she started developing a lump on over her right eye. She has coughing fits and sometimes has a little blood out her nose. Took her to 2 vets and they "think" it is a tumour. Had xrays, blood work, urine but still no definitive. She has appetite and bowel movements are normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?

Killer (though she is not LOL)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

We have tried 2 bouts of anti biotics and a medication for parasites.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/15/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. You're inquiring about your cat's nasal problems, is that correct?

Welcome. I am glad that you are here. Can I ask if your vets have mentioned a CT scan (or cat scan) of her head to get a better look of what's going on in there?

but cost is $1400 and he thinks it will just confirm what he suspects

I agree with them that this is likely a tumor. Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than radiation therapy to shrink it.

Have you tried an steroidal medications (like prednisone) or non-steroidal medications (like piroxicam or meloxicam)?

No we have not

The most common tumors in the nose of a cat are:

#1 - lymphoma. Often times steroid medications (like prednisolone) can help to shrink it a little. They can also sometimes decrease inflammation, reduce pain, and also treat some sneezing. A lot of times they need to be on antibiotics with the steroid.

#2 - carcinoma. Sometimes non-steroidal medications can actually shrink these tumors a little. Again, they can also decrease inflammation and reduce pain associated with it.

Lymphoma is more common in cats, so I would start with steroids to see if that makes any difference. It comes as pills, liquids and even long acting injectables. I have had some good success - for a few weeks to months. But unfortunately if it's a tumor, it will continue to grow.

is it possible it may be something like a parasite or something lodged in the nasal cavity?

That should not cause any growths or swellings on the nose. It will only cause the congestion and sneezing aspect. The growth is what is concerning to all of us.

Ok, thanks

I would call your vet and see if they will prescribe her a steroid. They may do this without having to see her again since it's sounds like you've been through a lot with her already. The steroids are very inexpensive as well.

Thank you for the picture. The swelling is very large. Try the steroids. It might make her feel better.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!