Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female cat is almost 8 and she’s been licking the

Customer Question
My female cat is...

My female cat is almost 8 and she’s been licking the basement wall a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She seems healthy other than licking the basement wall a lot lately

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She licks basement wall alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No. She seems healthy other than that

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the cat behaving differently?

Just licking wall alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Keke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keke?

Wondering if she’s anemic. Read ther online

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/15/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Keke's new habit of habit of licking your basement wall quite a bit.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency tests. Some cats exhibit pica (eating or licking/biting non-food items) when they are anemic or sick and we do want to make sure that she is healthy and there is not a physical reason for her behavior. She could be anemic, or suffering from metabolic organ disease or an immunosuppressive virus. This can also be a sign of nausea.

At home to try and settle her stomach in case this is related to nausea you can give either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous, and thus less likely to chew/lick on non-food items. These medications are quite safe and can be used long term if they help her feel better.

If she seems at all nauseous you can try offering a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him.

If she stops the behavior with the acid reducers and bland diet then try slowly reintroducing her regular diet by mixing it with the bland. If the behavior starts again on her regular diet then perhaps a permanent switch to a low irritant diet is indicated, such as the over the counter sensitive stomach foods made by Hills or Royal Canin or prescription foods like Hills i/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN.

If she continues this behavior though she should see her veterinarian for diagnostic testing.

In some cases this has nothing to do with a physical problem. Cats can indeed show some obsessive-compulsive type behaviors when they are bored for long periods of time. They are naturally built to hunt and spend their time and concentration stalking. When we take their "work" away from them some cats get a little strange with their behavior. This may wane on its own, but if she is healthy it may also help to give her more to do, such as more play time, hiding treats in kitty towers that she has to look for, mechanical toys that she can chase and hunt and maybe even an out door enclosure or perches near windows so she can stay safe, but experience the outdoors.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

She’s never been outside. So is she safe from leukimia

We would hope that she is not feline leukemia positive, but kittens can get it form their mother, and some are inapparent carriers for a long time.

Of course other diseases like pancreatitis, or organ failure or primary bone marrow disease are possible too.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian