Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been acting unusual since yesterday. He didn't…

My cat has been...

My cat has been acting unusual since yesterday. He didn't eat his dinner yesterday. I usually give him a small can of food and he races right up and eats it. He showed no interest yesterday. He is not quite a year old so he is usually very active and playful. I usually see him run around and play with his brother off and on throughout the day but he hasn't played at all today. He slept most of today and wouldn't eat his dinner again. It's not like him so I wonder if something is wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Sanchez

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sanchez?

I haven't noticed anything else. No accidents as far as I can tell so he is still using the litter box. I haven't noticed any diarrhea or vomiting. No sneeze or cough. Just won't eat or drink as far as I can tell and much less active than normal

1/15/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Sanchez is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and has lost his appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case, I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sanchez's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sanchez is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his health issues ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sorry for the late reply. I took him to a vet who put him on antibiotics for possible infection. He is doing much better now.

So glad to hear he is improving, thanks for the update ...

Regards,

Dr Scott