Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Male cat’ 13. 13 years old I think. Sleepy all the time for…

Customer Question
Male cat’ 13 Veterinarian's...

Male cat’ 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

13 years old I think. Sleepy all the time for the past few days. Seems to drool a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Wyatt

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wyatt?

Not sure if he is using litter box. We have two other cats.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/15/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is he eating and drinking well?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) What color is the drool?
4) Is he pawing at his face?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
seems to be eating and drinking fine. might be drinking a lot of water. hard to tell with multiple cats.
no puke or diarrhea.
clear drool
paws at his face a little. seems to be licking his chops a lot too.

At 13 years of age, it would be wise to schedule some diagnostics and an evaluation for Wyatt. Quite often when cats are still eating, drooling and pawing at the face with reduced energy there is a dental issue and Wyatt may have an infected or loose tooth that needs to be pulled. A dental cleaning is typically recommended for cats every 1-3 years depending on their individual needs. If Wyatt has not had a professional cleaning in his lifetime, and especially in the last 3-5 years, the risk of periodontal disease is increased. I would highly recommend that you have Wyatt examined by your veterinarian. They will also want to check for foreign material in the mouth such as goat head stickers, plant material, floss/thread, metal pieces, etc. If this turns out to be a periodontal concern, your veterinarian should be able to address it within a few days and once addressed Wyatt should return to normal.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Wyatt doing today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seemed ok this morning, dragging a little last night. Going to the vet tonight.

Keep me posted on your progress. Good luck!

Checking in. How is your companion today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
seems closer to normal today for no apparent reason. waiting on results from bloodwork from vet visit last night. vet didn't see anything obvious with him either. I think he might have lost weight. 13 years old, 9 lbs. munchkin breed.

The bloodwork may reveal something that cannot be seen, such as organ concerns. Often bloodwork gives us clues as to general health where we cannot yet "see" those changes when examining a pet. I am glad to hear that he's improved, even if there doesn't appear to be a reason. Please let me know what is found on the bloodwork. If you're able to share a copy after its been received you can post a picture back to the site that I can access.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse