Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She has hyperthyroidism and is on methimazole and still

She has hyperthyroidism and...

She has hyperthyroidism and is on methimazole and still losing weight. In 2 yrs. she has gone from an 8lb cat to a 4lb cat. I have been feeding her thyroid cat food and the vet suggested feeding her high protein wet food too. Nothing is working on her weight loss. is there something else out there besides surgery and radioiodine (I can't afford either of those treatments) that my vet might not know about?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Sasha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?

She's 1lmost 12yrs old and is starting to stay in my bedroom instead of being out with the rest of my critters. She does however sleeps with/on me at night.

1/14/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. There could be a few things going on that you should check out. One, would be making sure she is on the right dose of Methimazole. Testing a T4 to make sure you don't need to increase her dosage would be beneficial as a lot of cats will need their dosage increased over the years. Another possibility is concurrent kidney disease. If her kidney levels have not been checked in the past few months, I would do so as Methimazole will unmask kidney disease as the years go on and that can contribute to weight loss as well. Assuming those things are all well and good, I would recommend trying her on food specific for hyperthyroid kitties called Y/D from Hills. It might help her maintain her weight a little bit better than a high protein diet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is on that food as well as adding the high protein per her vet. I will have them recheck her Thyroid and kidney function. Thank you.

Ok, great. You are doing everything right then. Hopefully it is a matter of a simple dosing issue. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian