Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Looks like a recluse spider got to him. Last week we opened…

Looks like a recluse...

Looks like a recluse spider got to him. Last week we opened the area and squeezed out all the pus today we were cleaning it then the size of a quarter opened and a lot of pus. I have Doxycycline 200 mg He is 6 mos old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Bandit

Ok thanks
1/13/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok
Sorry we do not have extra money

I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Bandit. Brown recluse spider bites can be very damaging to the tissues at that location. While it can't be ruled out, with a young kitten that has an abscess, the most common thing that I find as the cause for this is another cat / kitten biting them and causing the infection. The bacteria in their mouths is pretty nasty and if a bite happens, it can abscess. If he has other kittens / cats that he's around, I would be more suspect for that as the source of the abscess. Doxycycline isn't a good choice for treating an abscess. What would be best is a trip to your vet so they can clip and clean the area. They can then flush the abscess and then start an antibiotic like Clavamox which has a much better spectrum of coverage.

If I could afford a vet I wouldn’t have paid for this advice. I can get a hold of penicillin
I have the area clipped. Did that last week.

The best thing that you can do at home is to keep that area clean and dry. Can you post a picture of what it looks like here? The paper clip icon can be used for that. With an abscess, if it is kept clean and dry and it drains, the body can a lot of times heal a good deal of these.

Hello

Got it. Can you give me some orientation to it? Is that on his backside by his tail? The wound is definitely opened up. What may help it to heal is to clip more of the hair from around it. The other big thing that can help is to get him an E-collar so he can't lick / groom that area. IF he's able to lick it, then it will keep open. It honestly looks like a wound that if kept clean, dry, him not licking it, then it could granulate in.

did I lose you

just above his tail. And a smaller hole on the other sideOk So no at topical med where on top of it?
Oops. We r not on top of it

At that location by the tail, he most likely is grooming it a lot. The E-collar would be a huge help here. Keeping that area clean and dry and him not licking it would be the best things you can do at home. I don't like topicals with things like this as it doesn't really do anything but get the area moist / messy.

Ok thank you so much ��

I am hoping for the best for Bandit. He should continue to eat and drink well. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I will rate you. Thanks!!

Keep him inside (if it was warm out, then flies would potentially be an issue that could lay eggs on that area) where he can't get dirt or debris into that area.

He is in my bathroom with food water and litter box. I’m going to put shredded newspaper in it for now

The shredded newspaper will be very good to keep litter and dust from getting into it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
He's doing much better. Just wwatchubg ur. He's not acting like it hurts any more. Thank you

I'm glad to hear that Bandit is doing much better! Tell him to stay out of trouble. Give him a good ear scratching for me since I can't!