Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is approximately 13 years old.. has obvious hearing loss…

Cat is approximately 13...

Cat is approximately 13 years old.. has obvious hearing loss yet sudden noises even key strokes on my keyboard seem to make him twitch when he is near me and continued sudden noises will put him into a seizure. His seizures last for 30 seconds or more sometimes lasting well over a minute.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Andy?

He is inside cat.. never goes outside

1/13/2018
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

How long has Andy been having seizures (just last night?)? Is he on any seizure medication to help manage them?

With the information you have provided, I can discuss some potential causes of his seizures and what make recommendations.

Seizures in an older cat can be caused by

1. High blood pressure: can lead to strokes which manifest as seizures

2. Heart disease-causing mini strokes

3. Brain cells firing abnormally: idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know the cause

4. Unfortunately, a common cause of seizures in an older cat is a brain tumor called a meningioma. These tumors are often slow growing, but when they reach a certain size they begin to put pressure on the brain and cause seizures.

5. Kidney failure: a metabolic disease where toxins build to such a high level in the blood that they cross over the blood-brain barrier and cause seizures.

I am going to recommend that we get Andy examined so we can see if he has heart disease or high blood pressure. The next step will be to get his blood work done to check his kidney values. If those parameters are normal your options will be to get him an MRI to look for a brain tumor or to start him on seizure medications if he is having more than 3 seizures a month.

Seizures are dangerous because if they go on for longer than 3-5 minutes the body temperature of the pet skyrockets and can cause permanent brain damage and also cause the lungs to fail.

I hope this helps guide you.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for your help it reaffirms my suspicions of a tumor due to the hearing loss.. we will monitor him closely until we feel it is time to let him go.

You are most welcome I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Seizure medications can help manage seizures from brain tumors for a little while so that may be something to consider to get you more time with him.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney