Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a cough. It is not a hacking hairball cough, but

My cat has a cough...
My cat has a cough. It is not a hacking hairball cough, but it is very persistent. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 6 years old,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tig?
Customer: he is a large cat (Maine Coon, I think) and has a few extra pounds. But he is very active and has always been very health, He is purely an indoor cat.
1/13/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tig. Over what period of time has he persistently coughed? If acute, an infectious bronchitis such as by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) or Mycoplasma would be considered. If chronic, feline asthma and lungworms (predicated upon where he has lived) are more important considerations.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
He has had it about a week
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
He has had the cough about a week.

Thank you. Acute cough is most often associated with FHV-1 which usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. If Tig is otherwise well - eating and acting normally - he doesn't need a vet's attention. If you believe that his coughing is affecting his quality of life, however, a vet can prescribe a narcotic antitussive (anti-cough) drug such as butorphanol. Regretfully, there aren't any over the counter cough suppressants safe for cats. If you didn't see him improve or, indeed, he worsened over the next week his vet will want to see him. I would expect the vet to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Tig's thorax (chest). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Asthma may or may not be readily apparent in X-rays. Tig's vet may recommend a complete blood count (CBC) which can be helpful in diagnosing asthma in cats.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian