Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is a 9-year old male indoor cat. He goes out some late a…

He is a 9-year...

He is a 9-year old male indoor cat. He goes out some late a night for a bit, but normally stays in. Recently, there is a feral male aggressive cat that has been staying around all night. Radley has started peeing all over the house!! Just a bit, but constant. What do Ivdo?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

Did you get my question?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He doesn’t hurt. He is perfectly healthy. He is worried by a male feral cat that is staying outside our home all night! Radley has started peeing all over as if marking his territory. He can’t spray because fixed since infancy and he is 9 now. Please tell me what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

I wish I could tell you. He is perfectly normal otherwise. He runs and plays around the house as usual. This cat makes him frustrated when out. He cries that growling cry to go out when he is there. I let him out to defend his home. He comes in and out for hours. Keeps me up all night watching for him and then sleeps like a baby all day!

1/13/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

You are absolutely right about Radley's motivations. He feels threatened by the feral and is trying to claim his house. To be honest, if it is a feral, the best thing you can do is call animal control or a local shelter and have it trapped/removed. Otherwise it will be an uphill battle since cat instincts are to claim territory/drive off competitors for the territory or leave themselves. So, we'd really want that can removed from the equation and often the established cats signs will settle. Otherwise, you can try de-stressing treatments (ie Kalmaid, Zylkene, Bach's remedies, Comfort Zone/Feliway, etc) or there are prescription options to dampen his drive to claim his territory but again the underlying trigger will still be there, still stressing him, and making him feel threatened.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I am going to call animal control, but the neighbors next door have two cats that stay out and didn’t wish to trap them accidentally and cause them undue stress. The medicines you mentioned, are they over-the-counter?

Hello again,

The ones I mentioned are over the counter and can be used for him but I am glad to see you are planning to ring animal control as removing the feral will be the key to settling him down (and likely reducing stress for the neighbour cats too).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

No, thank you. I appreciate what you have confirmed this morning. Other than the peeing, Radley is himself. Cuddly and sweet. Just doesn’t w

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am happy to be of help and wish you both the best. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hi Barbara A.,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.