Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I had a cat when I was a child that had a tumor in there…

I had a cat...

I had a cat when I was a child that had a tumor in there stomach and passed away from it. Now with my own cats, particularly one that’s a little chunkier than the other! How do I tell when the chunk becomes something I should worry about.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Is only a year and a half! Nothing else

1/13/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you. Chunkiness usually isn't associated with cancer in cats. In fact, cats with tumors often become thin and wasted looking. So, if he is a bit chunky and especially if he is young we'd not be thinking about tumors. The main thing you need to monitor for is that he doesn't have a focal mass present. Fat usually is diffuse and even over the abdominal region where cancer usually is a focal ball or lump present. So, from what you are describing and especially again with how young he is, we'd not be worried about cancer. But if there ever was a concern your vet can palpate the abdomen for any worries +/- xray if needed.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian