Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I adopted a 6 year old cat from the humane society today.

I adopted a 6...

I adopted a 6 year old cat from the humane society today. She has a cutaneous horn from the pad of 2 toes and a small nub from the pad of two other toes. I am wondering if i should contact the shelter and if I should be concerned. She tested negative for FIV and Feline Leukemia.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Nothing. She seems fine. The concern would be if the cutaneous horn is caused by an infection, neoplasm, or autoimmune disorder.

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She was surrendered to the shelter last October. She had flea bite dermatitis

I called customer service at 11:49 to cancel because I had not received an answer. Then I got a message that you were working on it. It is now 12:21 and still no answer. I can call my vet in the morning. The reason to use an on-line service is to get an immediate answer :(
1/13/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Cutaneous horns may be seen as a unique entity on the footpads of cats infected with feline leukemia virus but multiple cutaneous horns arising from under the claws have also been described in feline leukemia virus-negative cats. The horns themselves are benign and the treatment of choice is complete surgical excision. The cause of cutaneous horns may be unknown or they may originate from papillomas, basal cell tumors, squamous cell carcinomas, keratinous cysts, infundibular keratinizing acanthomas, or actinic keratoses. There is no known association with infection or autoimmune skin disorders. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hello Dr. Salkin,
I see that the recommendation is surgical excision. I imagine that they would do a wedge excison and that it could take several weeks for granulation to occur. I would be concerned about pain, infection, and potention avoidance of the litter box. Can you tell me some more about the surgery and recovery. My dog is a patient at a cancer center and they have more options. Thanks.

Yes, and following such a resection the incision would be closed with sutures. Analgesia might be provided with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as robenacoxib or meloxicam and post-operative infection shouldn't be a significant consideration when surgery is provided in a sterile setting. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

There are posting on line where cats have chewed out the sutures or the have been post op infections from the granulated cat litter or cats have stopped using the cat box due to pain. I just wondered if it was sometimes better to leave the cutaneous horns. This was a neglected cat. She was covered in hundreds of fleas and was not fixed. She was left at the shelter in October. She seems happy now and i am concerned surgery could do more harm than good.

There can be complications associated with any surgery. If surgery can be avoided then it should be. Watch to see if the horns are causing pain. If not, they can be left alone.

thanks

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?