Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Shaking and breathing with sinus sounding noises. I have a…

Customer Question
Shaking and breathing with...

Shaking and breathing with sinus sounding noises

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

I have a few cat's that started this yesterday. All under a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Buttacus is the worst

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

No, he's been fine until this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

ok

I'm sorry for the delay. My reply appears to have disappeared. I'll post it again. Give me a moment, please...

When so many cats are affected as you've described the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that needs to be considered. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as your cats continue to eat, drink, and act normally in spite their upper respiratory signs, they doesn't need to be attended to by their vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok, that's better than I expected. Thank You

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Ok

I appreciate it.