Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Chronic sneezing. Benny and he is about 4 mo old. Just a…

Customer Question
Chronic sneezing Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Chronic sneezing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Benny and he is about 4 mo old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benny?

No. Just a chronic sneeze and runny nose

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/10/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Benny. During how much of his 4 months of age has he been sneezing? The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing (and conjunctivitis?) you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Benny continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of his sneezing and he has sneezed with nasal discharge for less than 3 weeks, he doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Fine, thanks. I plan to take him to the vet next week as it has been going on for 3 weeks and I’ve noticed other kitten has started to develop eye drainage . Thank you

You're welcome! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian