Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I adopted a rescue cat 4 days ago. The cat vomited clear…

Customer Question
I adopted a rescue...

I adopted a rescue cat 4 days ago. The cat vomited clear mucus-y material at the shelter. At home he had a diarrhea. Activity seemed good, kitty was affectionate, curious. We kept him in a bathroom for adjustment with visits from us and supervised forays out. We noticed he didn’t eat or drink much. I changed his litter on the 3rd day and he had one tiny stool and maybe 4-5 urine spots. On the 4th day he tried peeing frequently by squatting, but did not owe. That aftn with no pee in the litter since the litter change, I took him in. He had a bladder the size of a ripe orange, I was told.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

My question is was this a problem that developed overnight or was it developing before I brought him home?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Sokhi. He did not have anything unusual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

2 yrs old, the food I set out was tiki cat, a kibble, but not eaten hat we can tell. At the shelter he was fed whatever had been donated- friskies was one I saw.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. These bladder inflammatory issues are very common in cats and are usually the result of stress. If he wasn't showing any urinary issues at the shelter, it most likely started when he got home. It is difficult to say exactly, though. Male cats can have it worse because all the inflammation cause mucus buildup and even some crystallization. All that can plug the urethra in male cats very easily because it is so narrow. To answer your question. The actual blockage most likely developed overnight, but the bladder inflammation had probably been going on for at least a couple days. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sokhi is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian