Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat, Fabian, inherited from my deceased sister, has…

Customer Question
My male cat...

My male cat , Fabian, inherited from my deceased sister Carol, has a circle of raw skin right next to his anus, which I just noticed as he jumped down from the table. I managed to get some vitamin e on it but now he is running away .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry that Fabian is feeling poorly. What seems to be the problem with Fabian?

He has an open lesion about the size of a nickel right next to his rectum. I just managed to get some vitamin e on it, I think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Fabian?

I'm guessing 12 ? I inherited him from my deceased sister Carol . they are still pretty feral cats , 4 of them, I have 2 and I don't know if he's neutered etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fabian?

He had some sort of lesion, growth on the top of his head that my sister after repeated attempts of getting him in a carrier had taken care of at the vets. he seems ok, is eating fine , meowing alot after he eats making me think he wants more food but maybe it's about his sore.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Fabian. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

he's sleeping right now after five or more attempts to get some vitamin e oil on the spot. he's still pretty feral and an extra set of hands would be helpful in even applying an ointment never mind taking a photo. he won't stay still long enough. it's red and raw about the size of a nickel right next to his anus. he has been meowing alot to me lately but is eating fine. I just noticed this today as it is hidden by his fur , as he jumped down from the table.

I understand. There's a good chance that that spot indicates a ruptured anal sac gland abscess but this can only be conjecture without my being able to see what you're seeing. If you get a chance to upload a photo, please do so. You can return to our conversation at your convenience without additional cost to you.

I can't get a photo. he's too feral. I am lucky I can try to get an ointment on him.

I understand. Regretfully, there's nothing more I can help you with at this time.

thank you. perhaps you could answer this question. if I get some neosporin on the wound is it safe without being dressed? i.e. him licking it? I just tried to take photos. no go.

Yes, it would be safe even if ingested.

thank you very much for your help. I'm sorry I was not much of a help but if you know Fabian you would understand. If the neosporin doesn't work I will take him to a vet if I can get him in the carrier. xxx

Sounds good.

thank you

You're quite welcome.