Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 12 year-old cat started violently vomiting after

Customer Question
Our 12 year-old cat...

Our 12 year-old cat started violently vomiting after receiving his biannual rabies shot this past summer. Vomiting was horrible for a few days, and included loose stools and lethargy. The loose stools stopped but the horrible vomiting continued, though lessened to bouts that occurred every 2 weeks or so.
Finally took cat to vet and, after blood work, was told it is likely IBD, possibly triggered by the rabies shot (compromised his immune system). Started cat on cerenia, which seemed to help a lot, but then when we stopped it, the vomiting returned. So vet started him on 0.5 daily mg of budesonide. but vomiting continued so we added back the cerenia. Okay for a while but then vomiting returned. So vet increased budesonide to 1 mg (cat is 19 pounds). that was 10 days ago. Cat started having loose stools (a reaction to the budesonide??) and also vomited again. Vet said to give cat probiotics and give 1 mg budesonide another week to see what happens. ARE WE ON THE RIGHT TRACK HERE???? I worry we may be going down the wrong road. Our normally sweet and docile cat was totally traumatized by a vet a few years ago who wanted to get chest xrays for possible asthma. Ever since then our cat has been VERY unhappy and non-compliant with blood work or any other significant fussing with him by vets....so running a whole bunch of tests like ultrasounds, xrays, lots more bloodwork or endoscopic biopsies will be a nightmare for us (not to mention the expense). Any wisdom or advice???????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He is hefty (19 pounds) but also large framed, domestic short-haired tabby, developed asthma (we think) a few years ago and treated him with inhaler (with areo-kat) on and off and he's been good (no more bouts) since the summer. No other issues.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your cat. If he does have IBD, inflammatory bowel disease, I am sorry the budesonide is not helping.

If this were my own cat, I would do an ultrasound to check his internal organs and lymph nodes, but I understand your concerns about taking him in for more tests.

You could continue him on Cerenia; I have cat patients who take this medication daily or every other day for vomiting. You could also try Pepcid AC (famotidine), 2.5 mg twice daily. It is available over the counter.

I like the probiotics made just for cats: Fortiflora, Proviable.

You might try a "prescription" GI diet for cats such as Hills I/D, Purina EN, or Royal Canin GI

If oral budesonide did not work, you could try prednisolone.

I hope you are able to see my responses! Please let me know what other questions you have, if this was helpful, and how he is doing.