Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'm looking for options for holistic homeopathic or

Customer Question
I'm looking for options...

I'm looking for options for holistic homeopathic or alternative treatments in addition to standard treatments.

My cat is 16 - had issues with kidneys a couple of years ago but managed to reverse the blood work back to normal now diagnosed with congestive heart failure at thanksgiving vet gave no hope but I insisted on treatment and he has been doing very very well after getting out of the hospital but he is limping a little - he has been jumping off of the bed onto hardwood floor but can't stop him he avoids the stairs but I'm afraid it might be saddle thrombosis starting he's on vasotec 2.5 mg morning and 12.5 mg furosemide 2x daily - he goes nuts when you put him in the car and the vet has really written him off here in wv but we had a great Christmas - just wondering if you can think of anything else it might be or anything I might do besides trying a baby aspirin to thin the blood a little - vet didn't even tell me that and I've had to call over and over to get the meds - will not order liquid for me despite begging so I'm crushing tablets - I love him he's my best friend sorry im silly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

No - other than normal cat jumping at an advanced age

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. His avoiding the stairs is likely to indicate an osteoarthritic cat and aspirin dosed at 5 mg per pound of body weight at 72 hour intervals should be helpful in that regard. I don't hear of evidence of saddle thrombus which usually causes peracute (sudden) hind limb paresis (weakness)/paralysis, vocalization (a pain response), and hind limbs/paws cooler than the the front limbs/paws due to vascular compromise. Pulses to the hind limbs should be weaker or absent as well. Aspirin therapy is unreliable for cats suffering from a thrombus. It's usually administered to cats who don't tolerate clopidogrel (antiplatelet drug) well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I wasn't clear - he uses the stairs to get on the bed but jumps off - I'm concerned that he could have hurt himself doing that but he's always been prone to jumping after his heart event it seems like he forgets things like going down stairs - he is still going up and down the actual stairs in the house - doesn't try to avoid those or walking but all of a sudden like he was ok in the morning and mid afternoon he was limping - not fully dragging his foot but one leg is giving him a lot of trouble - he's a tough cat - he doesn't hardly ever make noise except when he's waiting on food and I'm not quick enough lol - and he's meowed 3 or 4 times in the last day for no reason -- I was checking for the cold hind feet and so far they don't seem cold but Im not sure I know how (where) to check the pulse in his hind leg area - he hates the car - has a fit everytime - they had to put him in an oxygen cage for days when I took him last time partly because he hid congestive heart failure from us and in large part due to the fact he finds riding in a car a traumatic event - in order to get him home from the vet - I had to hold him in my lap and have my friend drive 10 mph with the flashers on . . . for miles . . . he is 16 beginning kidney failure 2 years ago but I managed to reverse the bloodwork results by changing everything and the heart failure appears very bad -- the vet gave him almost no chance thought I should put him down then but I know this boy he's a fighter so I brought him home and crushed his heart meds and water pills and in addition to Thanksgiving - we had the best Christmas ever - he loved his new toys, 3 foot cat tree and bed - lol ---so I don't think I will have much help if I take him back to the local vet - he probably won't make it there without being in a lot worse shape - I cant believe he will make both ways without being awfully sick -- the next trip he makes will likely be his last and given their lack of interest in helping him I thought it was best to try anything that could be tried at home - I did give him a tiny bit of baby aspirin --he is no better today - maybe a little worse walking but still not dragging the leg - and still have good temp and eating and drinking a little -- just wondered if the aspirin or any natural treatments that are available - I'm not asking for treatment advice since you haven't examined but it would be helpful to know what treatments might be available from a general vet or a homeopathic vet? thank you
Additionally I was wondering if its good or bad for him to walk if it is a partial clot blockage - is it better to let him walk or try to keep him quiet and less active ?

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, he could have hurt himself and, yes, you may be seeing a symptom of early thrombus formation. The femoral pulse is detected in the crease formed by his hind leg and his abdomen. You would need to check both right and left limb femoral pulses to know if the affected leg's pulse is diminished. I'm a died-in-the-wool allopath - not a naturopath - and so if you'd like to speak to such a vet please let me know and I'll opt out of our conversation. We encourage exercise in an attempt to stimulate circulation.

Thank you - if it is a clot would massaging the area potentially I know big if - but is it wildly possible it might help my mother had congestive heart failure at one point it became necessary to tap her lung and they said we would never get all of the fluid out but I actually made her lay on the side of the bed while I patted her on the back like burping a baby for hours and a few weeks later the doctors were amazed completely clear lungs and we got years after that without fluid in the lungs - so I'm a little crazy but if I love you I will go to great effort to try . . . I respect both western medicine type doctors and alternative - I tried calling the local vet to beg for a course of Plavix without bringing the cat in which I'm sure will put him in a nightmare but she is out -- does this service also have "alternative/homeopathic" vets available - given the situation I'm certainly interested in hearing any potential alternatives?

No, you can't massage the aorta where it divides into the hind legs. Yes, and you should amend your post to say as your initial few words: "I'm looking for an alternative/homeopathic vet..." I'll opt out which will allow that type of vet to enter this conversation.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I work with a holistic veterinarian so I am hoping I can offer some insight here and suggestions.

Acupuncture therapy may be able to provide him some relief and possibly help his heart function better. To locate a veterinarian who can perform this for you use this link

http://www.tcvm.com/Resources/FindaTCVMPractitioner.aspx

Veterinarians certified for acupuncture and Chinese herbal therapies will be found there. Some may offer mobile services so your cat does not need to be driven in a car given how high his stress level goes with car rides.

Xue Fu Zhu yu tang is a Chinese herbal supplement that can help cardiac function and is used by holistic veterinarians to try and help cardiac disease in cats. 1 pill twice a day is cat dosing and can increase to 2 pills twice a day.

http://www.activeherb.com/xuefu/

Good luck with your cat I hope this gives you some other options to consider.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

My biggest concern at this point is he is still limping maybe a little worse - I'm afraid its a blood clot saddle thrombosis - only partially blocked - there are examples on the web that talk about using nattokinise (sp) and arnica 6c to help dissolve the clot --do you know anything about these two options?

If he had a saddle thrombus you would know it. Those cats are screaming in pain and cannot walk at all. I do not think he has a saddle thrombus. Those cats come into the clinic dragging their hind legs and are literally screaming in pain. I think it is more likely he has arthritis and he aggravated a joint suffering from osteoarthritis. I would recommend getting him on a joint supplement called Antinol which can greatly help reduce joint inflammation in cats. You can purchase that off amazon.com. I have had a lot of success with it in my patients.

I'm certainly willing to try the joint supplement - but it happened within a couple hours - he was fine in the morning and by afternoon he was limping badly - and he seems much less energetic - plus he didn't scream but hid did meow about four times which is unusual for him - I gave him half a baby aspirin and another half last night and he has not meowed since - but still limping very badly - I'm actually working from home this week and I pay really close attention to him when I'm around - so I thought maybe it had happened but it only partially blocked and I caught it and the baby aspirin helped but if I understand correctly I should only give him that every other or every third day - so I wondered if the other would be more user friendly - or if maybe milk thistle would help his liver -- my mother was very sick for a decade - they gave her six months we got almost 10 years with My hokey pokey stuff as everyone called it but cats are not humans so I don't have the research under my belt --you wouldn't believe this boy he's very smart and he listens and minds just like a very good child - he is the sweetest it is an awful shame -
Milk thistle is a great liver support supplement and you can give him this formulated in a supplement called hepatoclear or
Denamarin which you can purchase off amazon.com. Yes you can continue the baby aspirin every three days to try and prevent a thrombus from forming. There is also a medication called Gabapentin that is really good for arthritis and joint pain in cats and will not negatively affect his cardiac condition. Your regular veterinarian can prescribe this in a liquid and you can pick it up without having to bring him into be seen since they have a recent exam for him. That should greatly improve his comfort level.
Cats are amazing companions. I have three and they are my babies.

Let me know if this helps.

If you have a moment please rate my assistance at the top with the stars so the site compensates me for assisting you.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian