Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My dog was given Rimadyl and it caused her to drink

Customer Question
My dog was given...

My dog was given Rimadyl and it caused her to drink excessively and pee all over the house. She never goes in the house. I stopped giving her the medication because of that. A week later she was no longer able to drink and her bowl would fill up with her saliva. Her tongue would hang out of her mouth and she couldn’t close her mouth. She also stopped eating. I took her to the vet and they told me it was a idiopathic neurologica disease also called dropped jaw. They said it would get better in about 3 weeks. We have to put food in a syringe in order for her to eat. She isn’t eating enough. She throws up after we feed her. She just looks zoned out all the time now. I definitely don’t think she’s getting enough water. Her nose is dried out and cracking. Her tongue is no longer pink. It’s turning red and almost like it’s drying out too. She almost looks like she’s giving up. Has no desire to even walk around anymore. She just sleeps. Her eyes are blood shot and look like they almost want to roll to the back of her head. Do you think this is going to clear up and get better? Could the Rimadyl be the culprit of what has happened to my pup? She will be 7 in April. She still has so much time left.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She has bad arthritis in both back legs. That was the reason for the Rimadyl.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. That definitely sounds serious. There are a lot of reasons for the symptoms you're describing, and it might not be related to the Benadryl, but that is awfully coincidental to me. The main complications we see with a reaction to that medication would be kidney damage, liver damage, and GI upset. Any of which to some degree could be responsible for the signs you're describing. The first thing to do would be to take her to the vet for some bloodwork to see what is going on internally. I would try to get her in ASAP, if not tonight, then first thing tomorrow morning if at all possible.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian