Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a Cat that was living in my garage as he just shows…

Customer Question
I have a Cat that...
I have a Cat that was living in my garage as he just shows up one and was really untame and wild. I left bad so I would feed him and eventally he got where I could at least pet him. The last week or so it got really cold here and I had a heat lamp in garage for the cat which he normally sleep under. I noticed about a week ago that he was really not acting like his normal self and seem to not move around all that much and just stayed in bed so I was force to bring him inside which to my suprise he didnt argue it seems lol. He seem really tired, sleeps alll day and really does not eat like normal. I took him to the vet to see if they could see any issues and the doc claimed he was totally fine except for a sore throat which is why he wasent eating. He gave an anitbotic but it does not seem to have help as the cat is just as tired and not normal still. I called the doc again and he came me some remedy to help but I just feel like the cat might be suffering and I dont want that. I have gotten him to eat/drink some mackeral juice but he does not seem to want food. I think I am gonna try to vet one more time but I figured I would ask on here anyway. (I had another cat like this this that I ended up having to put down because of a sinus infection and this seems very simular)
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

I think contacting your local vet for another followup visit is a good idea as well, but I'll give you my thoughts. Given Blue's history, if he hasn't been tested for FeLV/FIV viruses, he should be. If routine labwork to assess internal organ function hasn't been discussed, this could be another valuable diagnostic step. It is possible he is healthy other than an upper respiratory infection as this is common in young cats, if that is the case they are often viral in nature and take time for the virus to run it's course, while the antibiotic prevents or treats secondary bacterial infections. As you indicated there are other more serious causes of rhinitis/sinusitis in cats, but viral/bacterial infections are most common and they take time to recover from.

Call you vet again as you planned to schedule another recheck, consider looking into some further diagnostics if he isn't responding the way your vet had anticipated. Hope my thoughts are helpful!

Write me back if you have additional comments or questions, I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with you question today, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian