Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is throwing up has not been eating but is drinking…

Customer Question
My cat is throwing...

My cat is throwing up has not been eating but is drinking water. This started yesterday afternoon. She meows for food but no matter what I put down she sniffs it then walks away. She is 12 years old and has never been sick before, is not allowed outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She also urinated in a new bed I bought for her, she has never gone outside her litter box before.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

Vomiting, inappetance/anorexia, and inappropriate urination in a senior cat has multiple possible causes. Some things I'd be thinking about if presented with these concerns would be chronic kidney disease, a urinary tract infection in the bladder +/- kidneys, diabetes +/- a urinary infection, and other possible causes as well.

The first thing I would suggest for these concerns would be to simply check some routine senior labwork. Blood could be sent to a lab for a blood count, chemistry panel, electrolytes, and thyroid level. Urine could be sent for a routine urinalysis. These are all very basic / first-line diagnostic tests and are typically recommended annually for monitoring internal organ function, especially in senior animals. Depending on the findings of these diagnostic tests, a diagnosis may be evident and treatments may be recommended, or other diagnostics might be suggested to look into these concerns and any new concerns on labwork further.

I would suggest you contact your local veterinarian to schedule for a checkup and pursue a workup similar to the above mentioned diagnostics. Other recommendations might be made based on her physical examination. I wouldn't suggest instituting any at-home / OTC remedies at this time, she should be assessed further before deciding what medications may be suggested in this case.

Let me know if you have additional comments or questions, write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with your question today, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian