Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a beautifull male himalayan, that is afraid of

Customer Question
I have a beautifull...

I have a beautifull male himalayan , that is afraid of strangers, he goes under the bed the minute the doorbell rings. He has never been mistreted. He is very aloof and is not a lap cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Nothing wrong he is very healthy for a 10 year old. he still likes to play

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Nothing else he is my love that I rescued from the humane society ten years ago.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Are you available to chat about this situation with kitty online here at this time? I do have a number of questions to help me figure this out.

Has he always been shy of strangers or is this a new thing? If so, how long has it been going on?

Is he a strictly indoor cat? Any other cats or dogs in the home?

How many humans in the home?

Please reply at your convenience and the system will alert me. I will be away from the keyboard intermittently today and will reply when able.

nO, WHEN i FIRST GOT HIM HE WAS FINE WITH EVERYONE. bUT SOM,THING MUST HAVE HAPPEND TO MAKE HIM AFRAID OF STRANGERS. hE IS A VERY SHY GENTLE KITTY. WILL NOT RUN FROM STRANGERS IF THEY GO TO PET HIM.

Cats are naturally, instinctively shy and cautious in strange environments and around people or animals they don't know well. That is their "default setting".

Over thousands of years of domestication of cats, humans have gradually selectively bred for certain retained kitten behaviors, one of which is lack of fear of strangers. But many cats still have the inherited "shyness gene", which did serve them well particularly out in the wild. So we are kind of fighting against nature when we expect them to be gregarious and friendly like dogs are.

That said, it seems quite possible that something frightened him and he's a bit spooked now. Loud noises can do this, or accidentally threatening behavior, particularly by people with larger bodies and deeper voices (men).

I would just let him come out when he's ready and feels safe. You CAN speed this process along with food/treat bribes, rewarding him for coming out when you have guests (the guests should be sitting down and quiet as you do this).

If you have guests infrequently, it can be hard to get cats used to them. I have this problem with both my males, but interestingly the shyest one has gotten better as he ages and the young, outgoing one is more shy now. I don't have guests very often, lol.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification.

I will be away from the computer now until tomorrow so please forgive any delay in responding.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian