Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has urinary obstruction that has been going on for a

Customer Question
He has urinary obstruction...

He has urinary obstruction that has been going on for a week.. He has been on Science diet weight management dry per physician Onisor dose 6 today and has finished 6 days of minipress.. He relieves himself by licking urethra.. Only had mild crystals in bladder after flush last Tuesday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Feline male/neutered 4 y/o

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the feline's name?

Zipper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zipper?

Well.. I think it maybe urethral soreness or inflammation causing this problem from constant licking to relieve.. The other thing, no kidney damage as of last Tuesday.. I would like to know why the dry and not Science diet s/d for a few days

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He did go to an emergency clinic on Tuesday night for monitoring, they administered fluids as well as pain meds and minipress for bladder spasms.
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Cerecita,
 replied 6 months ago
Cerecita

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back shortly.

First, my apologies that none of my colleagues sent you an answer before now. I just signed online and your question was brought to my attention. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

I'm so sorry that Zipper is experiencing this problem.

When you mention that he had a 'flush' last Tuesday, at the ER vet, did they insert a catheter to drain his bladder and clear the obstruction?

Is he using the litterbox at all, or only licking at his urethra?

Do you know what kind of crystals were in his urine? Struvite or another type?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, I will compose and send your detailed answer.

Best regards,

Cher

This is what he put in his notes Lab results Renal values WNL.. Urine Specific gravity greater than 1.040 PH 6.5 Sediment quiet. Protein 3+++ Blood Large+++ I think he just had mild to no sediment.. no bacteria either.. None showed on urinalysis.. I believe my cat may actually have a hematoma to is urethral area, an infection , or just severe irritation.. He's trying to use litterbox, but main pops a side laying maneuver, licks his penis and it usually starts squirting like there is some type of obstruction he's trying to urinate around. I've noticed the vet has been palpating him to pee..
One more question are you a veterinarian?
duh sorry.. check page 13 of his notes on Zipper PDF
Cat Veterinarian: Cerecita,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi again, and thanks for your helpful reply.

In answer to your question, no, I am not a veterinarian. Would you rather be answered by a veterinarian?

I would prefer, unless you know extensively about the feline obstruction
Cat Veterinarian: Cerecita,
 replied 6 months ago

No problem. I will 'opt out' and a Moderator will try to find a veterinarian to help you.

I do hope all will be well with Zipper!

Best regards,

Cher