Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

OUR CAT SEEMS TO BE CONSTIPATED. HE IS A INDOOR / OUTDOOR…

Customer Question
OUR CAT SEEMS TO...

OUR CAT SEEMS TO BE CONSTIPATED. HE IS A INDOOR / OUTDOOR CAT SO HE DOESNT USE A LITTER BOX. HE HAD SURGERY FOR AN ABCESS EAR. HE IS WEARING A PROTECTIVE COLLAR.WE HAVE BEEN TAKING HIM OUTSIDE TO USE THE BATHROOM. ITS BEEN 4 DAYS SINCE SURGERY AND HE IS EATING NORMAL NOW. HE WILL PEE BUT WE HAVENT SEEN HIM POOP. HE DONT WANT YOU TO PICK HIM UP.????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

MR. MEOW

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MR.?

HE IS ON ROYAL CAINE URINARY SO DIET. BUT WE FEED HIM CAN FOOD A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK. HE IS 10 YR OLD

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Mr. Meow.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Constipation issues in older cats are not a rare problem and since his routine has been disrupted, it's not surprising that he hasn't had a bowel movement yet. The fact that he's still eating is a good thing but 4 days is about as long as I'd like to see a cat go without producing stool. Hopefully, one of the following suggestions will be effective but if not, he may need a enema.

1. Hairball laxatives such as Laxatone or Laxaire which are brand names but every pet or grain store will carry these products. I usually suggest 1-2 inches 2-3 times a day.

2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix) at a dose of 1/4-1/2 tsp per day. You might be surprised how well many cats like the taste of it although obviously not all of them do. For those cats with chronic issues, there are some diets available which contain pumpkin.

3. Over the counter, human Miralax (polylethylene glycol 3350 aka macrogol 3350) at a dose of 1/8th-1/4th tsp daily which can be increased until soft stools are produced. In this case, I'd probably start with 1/2 teaspoon 1-2 times a day.

4.Raw bran flakes (wheat bran, not cereal) in canned food 1/4-1/2 tsp daily.

5. Pediatric glycerin suppositories can be given to cats although this can be a challenge depending on the personality of the patient. http://pedia-lax.com/products/liquid-glycerin-suppositories

Read the label closely and only purchase those with glycerin on the label; those with phosphate can kill cats.

You can give more than one of the options I've listed above at one time although diarrhea may result if you do. The product most likely to be effective at this point would be #3.

If no stool is produced in the next 24 hours, then a vet visit may be a good idea.

I hope this helps and that he produces stool soon, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian