Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cats licked my hand with tea tree oil on it and I'm worried…

Customer Question
Cats licked my hand...

Cats licked my hand with tea tree oil on it and I'm worried they'll get sick. At least 30 minutes after use.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No, they are healthy cats

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your cats, please?

Tea tree oil when ingested can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity), and aspiration pneumonia. Cats are more sensitive than dogs. Fluids and thermoregulation (controlling body temperature) may be needed for a few days of supportive treatment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This many hours later one is up and walking around the other is kind of annoyed I woke him up to see how he is but is now walking around. They don't appear to be in any distress.

Thank goodness. They should remain well Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Hi Marlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian