Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat frequently starts gagging as if she is going to throw…

Customer Question
My cat frequently starts...

My cat frequently starts gagging as if she is going to throw up, but nothing happens, one vet says it was hair balls, but not the case. She just tries to cough it up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No, this has been going for some time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Mia about 9years old

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Coughing in cats is often due to one of a couple things:

1. Asthma: Feline asthma will cause coughing, wheezing and occasional episodes of respiratory distress. It is diagnosed with x-rays of the chest to look for inflammation around the airways and hyper-inflated lungs. Treatment is with aerosolized meds- a bronchodilator (Albuterol) and sometimes a steroid (Flovent). They are administered through the Aerokat spacer- you can see how this works at Aerokat.com.

2. Heart Disease- This is diagnosed on auscultation by listening for a heart murmur and also chest x-rays to look for an enlarged heart. An ultrasound of the heart is the diagnostic of choice and gives you a better idea of prognosis.

3. Pneumonia- This is also diagnosed on exam and then confirmed with x-rays. Treatment is with antibiotics and oxygen supplementation as needed.

I would guess that your cat has asthma and would start by looking for that. Here's a nice write up on the condition in cats:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=665

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian