Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Muchkin is 3mos old today along with her sister, Jasmine.

Customer Question
Muchkin is 3mos old...

Muchkin is 3mos old today along with her sister, Jasmine. When I came into their room this morning Jasmine was running around but Muchkin was just lying on the blanket. I picked her up and held her, she was shivering. I wrapped a blanket around her and held her. When she finally decided to get up (about 30 minutes) she sat on the back of the couch shivering. Again I held her and wrapped a blanket around her. For the past hour or so she has been sitting out on the closed in porch in the sun; having nothing to do with her sister or my older cats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

3 mos old today and her name is*****: How old is Munchkin?

3 mos today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Munchkin?

She has been shivering

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Munchkin is unwell, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your kitten over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and shivering makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course other diagnoses are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your kitten to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly. Some infections in kittens in this age group can be serious ...

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Munchkin's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Munchkin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott