Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a real puzzle if anyone can solve it. I have a 10…

Customer Question
Hi - I have a...
Hi - I have a real puzzle if anyone can solve it. I have a 10 month old male cat that isn't neutered yet (we are planning to take him this week to have it done). Anyway - last night he went outside around 11pm and stayed out for close to an hour and half despite the extremely cold temperatures. When he came back in, both sides of his cheeks and below his chin were soaked and the fur had now frozen. Any ideas what could have been the cause? Cats drink barely putting there face in the bowl and lick the water so I don't think it could have been from drinking something. The rest of his body was dry. The other cats we have were most particularly interested in him and licking that part of his face that was wet - almost as if they were attracted to it.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Orangey. How is he doing now?

I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get an answer before now.

If the other cats were interested in the wet part of his face, this was probably not water. As you say, if he was drinking water he woudl not get his whole face wet.

It sounds like he got sprayed with some liquid which got frozen. I might be able to tell you what the liquid was if I could analyze a sample. It sounds like the other cats detected an odor, but they can smell way better than we can. When the liquid melted, could you detect any smell?

He may have gotten close to a pipe that was leaking. He may have annoyed a neighbor and had something thrown at him. He may have encountered a dog or a cat that urinated/sprayed urine onto him. I know that sounds weird, but it can happen.

He is fine it seems. I'm just curious, if anyone would have any idea what happened based on cat behaviour.

I think he met up with another unneutered male cat and got "sprayed", or else his curiosity put him near something or someone who squirted liquid on him.

Glad he is fine! Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Please let me know if this information was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian