Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has feline corona virus that affected her GI system.

Customer Question
My cat has feline...

My cat has feline corona virus that affected her GI system. She has done well (enough) on prednisolone every other day. Recently, she had sudden respiratory sx (sneezing a lot with some nasal discharge, nasal congestion, some eye discharge and some decrease in appetite). Oddly enough, I have had a cold and realilzed I had a sore throat when at home, realizing the air was dry with the use of the heat. She has not improved any over the last week even with humidifier being used some. I stopped her prednisolone about 4 days ago so she can fight the cold. How many days can I do this before affecting her adrenal system? With her appetite being poor, she will not take crushed vit c in wet food, I read L-lysine wasnt worth using. Should I take her to the vet? or is this something that takes time. Does cats have a "tamiflu" equivalent?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Losa Koishto is chickasaw for black panther. I call her Losa (she is a black cat). Thank you in advance for your help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Losa?

She was a rescue 2 yrs ago when she was about 1 yr old who was extremely skinny. She takes prednisolone and famotidine every other day. She is sypmtomatic (soft stools-she always gets to the litter box, and vomiting occasionally) but she is still playful, has a beautiful fur coat and has gained weight. I still do not think she is ready to be "put down", but do realize that corona virus can affect the respiratory system. These sx came on suddenly though.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. How long has your cat been on Prednisolone? Her adrenal glands might not have had time to atrophy much, it all depends on how long she's been on it. I would take her to the vet as she will likely need an antibiotic to get over this, a lot of cats will get secondary bacterial infections to these 'cold' type viruses. It definitely could be the Corona virus affecting her respiratory system as well like you said.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian