Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My very sweet 8 year old cat was diagnosed with periodontal…

Customer Question
My very sweet 8 year...
My very sweet 8 year old cat was diagnosed with periodontal disease a while back. The problem is she I is getting sicker. Her hair is coming out in clumps, she hides all day until night when she then lays in my lap until morning. She sometimes will eat a lot and sometimes will go without eating. She is in pain and her breath is really bad. Because she hides all day I can't get her to the vet. Another problem is that I also am very sick.The vet also wants 1000 dollars to clean her teeth and won't take payments. I live on disability but desperately want to help my angel feel better. Please help me help her even if maybe just an antibiotic or some medication. Thank you so much for listening. Her name is*****: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Rayna. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rayna?
Customer: NO I told you everything there is that is going on.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I forgot to mention it hurts her when she chews her food. I can only give her very soft can food. It hurts her to eat dry food and cat treats. Today she ate really well, but sometimes she will go one day without eating. She goes to the bathroom on a regular basis, but sometimes will have diarrhea.
I have dry food out with can food and amazingly because I am talking to you she is eating the dry food. She also drank cat milk that I buy for my cats. She doesn't drink all the time and I worry about dehydration.
1/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Rayna's problems. It does sound like her periodontal disease is giving her pain, but I am concerned by your description that she may have other problems as well. The pain could be the reason for her hiding, and her periodontal disease is probably the reason for her bad breath.

She may not be grooming well, and that may be the reason for her hair coming out in clumps.

Cats with bad teeth and gums usually keep eating. I have seen cats with terrible mouths, tooth loss, painful gums, but they are usually eating normally and not losing weight. If I see a cat that is not eating well, even if they have bad teeth, I start looking for other problems such as chronic kidney disease, heart disease, liver diseae, etc.

I agree antibiotics and pain medication may help her, but she probably should have a thorough exam by a veterinarian and some basic blood tests before you think about anesthesia and dental work.

You can only get prescription medication such as antibiotics from a veterinarian who has seen and examined her; I can't prescribe medication for her.

Can you please answer me on this page. Having trouble with my phone. Thank you.

I can only answer here; I can make calls for the website. Do you see what I wrote so far?

Sorry, I can't make calls for the website. Can you see my responses or should I retype them?

I have not heard back from you. Please let me know what other questions you have and if this information was helpful.