Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 year old female cat (spayed) was apparently in a fight…

Customer Question
My 2 year old...

My 2 year old female cat (spayed) was apparently in a fight tonight. There is a tomcat that sometimes shows up in our yard so that is probably the culprit. My cat is bleeding slightly from the rectum and is limping badly on her right paw. She ate a small can of food and drank some water but now she is growling and won't let us touch her. She had crawled under the bed and can't seem to get comfortable. We live in the country, an hour from the nearest ER vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Is there anything I can do tonight or should I try to take her on to the vet? I'm not sure I can even get her out from my nder the bed at his point. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zappa?

She's current on her shots and is typically not an aggressive cat.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

I wouldn't suggest trying to do anything with her on your own tonight other than allow her to rest and provide comfortable bedding and food/water. Don't try to feel her leg or otherwise check her as hurt cats like this will be fractious sometimes as you're experiencing and may bite, even their owners. They often need to be sedated to facilitate a full physical examination and evaluation of their wounds by a vet when they are in this kind of mental state.

Whether you pursue the ER vet this evening or let her rest overnight and go tomorrow is up to you. Obviously the sooner she can be assessed the sooner pain control can be instituted (I don't recommend giving any human OTC pain meds to her) and going asap is the best medical suggestion. From what you've described nothing sounds particularly urgent. Cats with bites on their limbs will often be lame without any trauma to their bones, other times a fracture might be evident - that'd be the biggest concern from what you've written. If she has other signs of trauma e.g. abnormal or difficult breathing, then you really need to get her assessed asap. I say this as you mention you're in the country - I see cats attacked by dogs / coyotes other bigger mammals on occasion which can have severe trauma to their chest or abdomen which can be life-threatening. Most cat to cat fights however are not urgent, other than the need to provide relief of their pain and address infections. Cat bites very commonly will turn into abscesses, so instituting antibiotics soon is a must.

Let me know if you have additional comments or questions. Write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able.

Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with your question this evening, thanks! - Dr. Peck.